HOW IT ALL BEGAN…
George Schulteti’s relationship with Harley-Davidson® began in 1922 in Milwaukee, Wisconsin. At that time, he was the proud owner of a Harley-Davidson® bicycle, and when he couldn’t find a replacement part at a local dealer, he went directly to the H-D® factory.
To his dismay, the plant’s guard told him that he would have to go to a dealership to get the part. Showing the determination that would become his trademark in future years, George would not accept “no” for an answer. One of the company’s founders, William A. Davidson, heard the spirited discussion from a nearby office and not only provided Schulteti with the part but also a promise. Davidson told him that if he ever wanted a job, he could have it. Two days later, 16-year-old George Schulteti took him up on the offer and was hired to sweep the floors of the factory.
His intense love for cycling and excellent mechanical abilities allowed him to excel with Harley-Davidson Motor Company as a service technician and as part of the research and development team. He was also one of their most competent test riders.