Get Your Motorcycle License
Nov. 1st - Mar. 15th, all rider skills testing is by appointment only. Please call our Riding Academy Manager, Steve McQueen at 317-985-3947 to schedule a date and time.
In order to meet the needs and expectations of those seeking to complete their skills examination and gain their motorcycle endorsement, we now offer the Rider Skills Testing for the BMV. You can get your motorcycle license without taking a motorcycle rider course.
First, you must get your Motorcycle Learner’s Permit from the Indiana Bureau of Motor Vehicles by passing a written evaluation based on questions from the Indiana Motorcycle Operators Manual and then pass a Rider Skills Test administered by a BMV certified examiner. Applicants must provide the motorcycle used for the skills test and must also wear a motorcycle helmet during the operational skills test.
Rider Skills Testing is conducted at our Riding Academy Range located at 6735 US-31 N., Whiteland, IN 46184. Fee: $40.00 CASH, payable to the examiner at the time of testing.
Tests are given on a first-come-first-served basis. No registration is necessary. Just show up with your bike and all the requirements.
The motorcycle skills test consists of several elements which measure an applicant’s basic control of the motorcycle and response to hazardous situations. The motorcycle skills test consists of the following actions:
- Stopping at designated points
- Overall control
- Offset cone weave
- Right U-turn
- Changing traffic lanes
- Quick stop
- Obstacle swerve
The examiner may perform a safety inspection on the motorcycle and will check the motorcycle’s registration and insurance information.
Motorcycle skills tests will not be performed in hazardous weather. However, examiners have experience conducting training in less-than-perfect weather. If an applicant has ridden to the testing site in the rain and will be forced to ride home in the rain, he or she will not be denied the opportunity to take the skills test as long as the environment is safe.
- Applicants need to know and understand the motorcycle’s controls and equipment such as choke, gear shift, brakes, starter, throttle, ignition, and clutch
- Applicants must provide a valid Indiana Driver’s License and current Motorcycle Learner’s Permit
- Applicants must provide proof of insurance
- Applicants must provide their own street legal two or three-wheel motorcycle or scooter.
- The Motorcycle used for skills examination to obtain an endorsement or license must be street-legal, currently registered and insured.
- Applicants must wear a DOT approved motorcycle helmet, appropriate eye protection, Long pants and closed toed shoes.